Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Easy Rugalech for Hanukkah

I've always wanted to learn to make Rugalech, but I've always been too intimidated. Having to use a filling with the dough and roll them is a little different than dropping a spoonful of dough onto a cookie sheet. I figure for this Hanukkah I will finally face the challenge and attempt to make a good batch of home-made Rugalech (usually we just buy them from a good bakery). I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, and it seems pretty simple to follow so hopefully I will be successful. Rugalech can have all different kinds of filling, this recipe calls for raisins but I prefer a chocolate or apricot filling. You could also use a raspberry jam. I will probably try with the chocolate, so I will just substitute chocolate chips in for the raisins. You can adjust the amount of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top to taste. This recipe seems like it will make a good cookie. Enjoy!

1/2 pound butter
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raisins
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons granulated sugar


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix butter or margarine, cottage cheese and flour together.
Roll the dough into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into triangular wedges. Sprinkle raisins into the broad end of the wedge along with cinnamon and sugar. Roll from the broad edge toward the pointed edge to form crescents. Sprinkle the crescents with cinnamon and sugar. Arrange the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes.

No comments: